Last Updated: November 1, 2021
Effective: December 1, 2021
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
You are not required to provide any personally identifiable information to visit the Site and are not required to provide any personally identifiable information if the information collected is not related to the primary purpose for which the information was collected or the personally identified information was disclosed to third parties.
“Personally identifiable information” or “personal information” is information that we can use to identify you as an individual. The categories of collected personally identifiable information include your name, address, email address, telephone number, IP address, and any other information that is connected with you personally. CarNow automatically collects Usage Data (as described below) and may collect ZIP codes and other personal information in connection with your use of the Site (e.g., the type of car you are looking for). CarNow collects personally identifiable information only when you use the Site or make it available through your use of the Site.
You may be required to provide personally identifiable information to use certain services on this Site. In addition, you may submit personally identifiable information through the Site in other ways, including: (a) participating in online surveys, promotions, contests and sweepstakes; (b) subscribing to newsletters, editorial content, or promotional content sent via email, (c) using “Feedback” and “More Information” forms; and (d) in connection with other products, services, features, or requests made available through the Site. We may also publish toll-free phone numbers for many of the dealerships that list vehicles for sale on the Site. If you dial one of these phone numbers, CarNow or a service provider operating on CarNow’s behalf may record the date, time and length of your call and the phone number from which the call originated, along with other information that may be captured. Any Usage Data (as defined in the next section) and/or personally identifiable information resulting from such calls may be used as described in this Policy.
The types of personally identifiable information that you provide will depend on the nature of the submission, but could include your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. Your choice about personally identifiable information being disclosed to third parties will be honored. You will also have the right and means to change your choice as described in the section below entitled “Accessing Your Information.” Information Collected by CarNowAll newsletters and promotional email messages that CarNow sends to users, apart from the messages the user has agreed to receive as a condition of using the CarNow service, will include an unsubscribe link and as described in the section below entitled “Accessing Your Information.”
Passive Information Collection
The Site automatically collects information and may also customize your visit through technical means, including the following:
- Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer’s hard drive by computers (or servers) to identify your computer.
- Web Beacons: Web beacons (also known as pixel tags, internet tags, clear GIFs, or single-pixel GIFs) are electronic images embedded into a webpage.
- IP Address Logs: CarNow also logs Internet Protocol (IP) addresses – the location of your computer on the internet.
Cookies allow CarNow to recognize you when you visit the Site, to personalize your experience and generally to serve you better. For example, if you enter your name, address or ZIP code on one of the Site’s forms, it may be stored in a cookie so you do not have to enter it again on other forms on the Site. Cookies and web beacons can tell us what advertising you have seen on the Site, which allows CarNow to offer you a more diverse selection of advertising information and may also be used together to measure the effectiveness of CarNow advertising campaigns. Cookies, web beacons and IP addresses are also used to compile data regarding Site usage (e.g., what website you came from, what pages of the Site you visit, how long you were on the Site, what type of browser you are using, what website you went to). Web beacons may also be included in emails sent by CarNow to determine when and if such emails are opened or forwarded. You can disable cookies or otherwise manage them through tools provided with your browser software and with third-party software packages. If you turn off cookies, many of the Site’s features will not work as well or at all. Anonymous information regarding use of our Site and services that is collected and/or aggregated by or on behalf of CarNow through the use of such technical means or otherwise is referred to in this Policy as “Usage Data.”
How We Use Personal Information
Personally Identifiable Information. Personally identifiable information collected by CarNow through your use of the Site may be stored on servers or in a cookie on your computer and may be used by CarNow for any of the following purposes:
- To confirm or fulfill a request that you make (e.g., in order to send you specific information you have requested, CarNow may share your contact information with a participating CarNow dealer and/or manufacturer).
- To follow up on any request that you have previously made (e.g., CarNow may contact you to determine whether the dealer and/or manufacturer responded to your original request).
- To communicate with you regarding the CarNow service (e.g., CarNow may send you emails or call you about new features or to request that you participate in a survey).
- To send promotional materials, newsletters or other content via email or otherwise. If you no longer wish to receive a particular email newsletter or other promotion from CarNow, you must follow the opt-out instructions included in such email newsletters and promotions.
- To permit third parties (to whom CarNow may disclose or sell personally identifiable information specifically for direct marketing purposes) to send you promotional or informational messages.
- To improve your user experience.
- To manage CarNow’s business and its relationships with Affiliates, customers, and other third parties to which CarNow may disclose personally identifiable information pursuant to this Policy.
- For Site administration, analysis, research, development, optimization and other internal purposes, including, without limitation, to compile Usage Data.
Usage Data: Usage Data is used by CarNow for administrative, analytical, research, optimization and other purposes. For example, CarNow may use statistical analyses of Usage Data in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Site, for development purposes and to inform advertisers and partners in aggregate and anonymous terms about consumers who click on their advertising or other messages. IP addresses are also used for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes.
With respect to promotional materials and newsletters that CarNow may send from time to time, CarNow will not continue to send you such communications if you ask us not to, as described below in the Section entitled, “Accessing Your Information.” However, you agree that CarNow may send to you, and you cannot opt out of, communications of a transactional or relationship nature, including, but not limited to, communications regarding fraudulent or illegal activity, the status of your account, and changes to this Policy or the CarNow Terms of Service.
Sharing of Your Personal Information
As described below, we may share your personal information with the following categories of third parties: affiliates, service providers, dealership clients and other partners, other third parties for their marketing purposes, and as may be required by law.
Business Transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share your information to a third party in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets of us or in the event of bankruptcy of us and you agree that any such third party will have the right to continue to use your Personal Information and other information that you provide to us or which we obtain through your use of the service.
Aggregated or Anonymized Data. We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you with the third parties described above.
Other Sharing with Third Parties
In addition, CarNow may share personally identifiable information that you provide with third parties in the following cases:
- Affiliates. CarNow may share your personally identifiable information with Affiliates on the condition that the Affiliates’ disclosure and use of the information is consistent with this Policy.
- Requests. If you request information or services through the Site, you agree that CarNow may share personally identifiable information with third parties as may be necessary to provide such information to or perform such services for you. For example, if you use the Site’s form to request a price quote from a dealership, CarNow will share the information you entered with that dealership (or its designee). If that vehicle listing was provided by an automobile manufacturer on behalf of a dealer, CarNow may also share the personally identifiable information you submit as part of the request with the automobile manufacturer and/or its affiliates. Similarly, if through the Site you request additional information from a financial institution, CarNow will share your information with that institution. Personally identifiable information also may be included in reports to these third parties, but only when you have intended to submit the information to the third party as described above. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies and practices and CarNow does not control their subsequent use or disclosure of information.
- Sweepstakes/Promotions. In the event that you participate in a sweepstakes, contest or other promotion on the Site that is sponsored by CarNow and a third party, CarNow reserves the right to share personally identifiable information collected in conjunction with the sweepstakes, contest or promotion with the third party. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies and practices.
- Direct Marketing. Except as provided herein, it is CarNow’s policy not to disclose personally identifiable information of our customers to third parties specifically for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are 18 years of age or older and have affirmatively agreed to receive third-party direct marketing materials, CarNow may share personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. The subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies and practices.
- Sale of Personal Information. CarNow may sell personally identifiable information (name, email address and/or phone number) to dealer clients for their lead generation and other marketing purposes.
- Service Providers. CarNow may work with third parties that provide services on its behalf, including, among others, providers of analytical, development, promotional, research, credit card processing, technical and other services. For example, CarNow may ask that a third party conduct an online survey or sweepstakes or send newsletters on its behalf. Similarly, if you make a payment to CarNow by credit card, CarNow may share your personally identifiable information and credit card information with a third party in order to process credit card transactions, or such information may be collected directly by the credit card processing service provider on CarNow’s behalf. In such cases, CarNow requires that the third party maintain your personally identifiable information as confidential and use the information only to perform the services specified by CarNow. A list of some of these service providers is provided below.
- Email List Opt-Outs. In the event CarNow sends promotional emails to you on behalf of third-party advertisers and you inform CarNow you wish to opt out of future promotional emails from a particular third party, CarNow may share your email address with that third party so the third party may add you to its opt-out lists.
- Other. CarNow expressly reserves the right to release any personally identifiable information or other information to third parties under the following circumstances: (a) when required by law or legal process including to judicial or other government agencies subject to warrants, subpoenas or other governmental orders, (b) to investigate and/or take action against illegal activity, suspected abuse or unauthorized use of the Site, (c) to protect the property or safety of our users or others, (d) to enforce our Terms of Service and (e) in connection with any sale or other transfer of ownership of all or a part of CarNow. Further, if you make any personally identifiable information publicly available on the Site, CarNow reserves the right to disclose such information to third parties, including, without limitation, insurance companies and CarNow’s Affiliates and third-party distribution partners.
Please note that the messages that CarNow sends to you to confirm, fulfill or follow up on a request may incidentally include promotional material or other content from CarNow or its partners. In the case of these messages, CarNow is not sharing your personally identifiable information with those third parties. CarNow reserves the right to share Usage Data with any third party for any reason.
CarNow also may offer message boards, bulletin boards, chat rooms, comments areas or other forums (“Forums”) on the Site for use by visitors who are 18 years of age or older. Any information you disclose when posting a message in these Forums may become public. You should not include any information in your posting that you do not want other parties to see or use. Moreover, if you post any messages in the Forums that include your email address or phone number you may receive unsolicited emails or calls from third parties.
“Shine The Light Law” — Pursuant to California’s “Shine The Light law (California Civil Code § 1798.983), California residents are entitled, once a year and free of charge, to request the disclosure of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year, if any. You may request this information by contacting us at email@example.com and indicate in the email subject line, “California Shine The Light Request.” Please include your mailing address, state of residence and email address with your request.
For California residents under the age of 18 and registered users, California law (Business and Professionals Code § 22581) provides that you can request the removal of content or information you posted on the App or Site. Any such request should be sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org along with a description of the posted content or other information to be removed. Be advised, however, that applicable law may not permit us to completely or comprehensively remove your deleted content or for other reasons as set forth in this California law.
California Consumer Privacy Act
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) gives California consumers enhanced rights with respect to their personal information that is collected by businesses. The CCPA provides California consumers with three rights regarding their personal information.
First, California consumers may opt out of having their personal information sold to other persons or parties.
Second, California consumers can request to know:
- What specific pieces of information a business has collected about the consumer;
- Categories of personal information it has collected about the consumer;
- Categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- Categories of personal information that the business sold or disclosed for a business purpose about the consumer;
- Categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose; and
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
Third, California consumers can request that a business delete personal information about the consumer that a business has collected from the consumer.
Opt Out of the Sale of Personal Information. — CarNow may sell personally identifiable information to dealer clients for their lead generation and other marketing purposes. You also can request to opt out by completed the CCPA Interactive Request Form or by sending as an email at email@example.com. We have 15 days after receipt to implement a request to opt out.
To make a “request to know” or “request to delete” your personal information, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org (Please put either “Request to Know” or “Request to Delete” in the subject line of your email.) You may also submit these requests via our CCPA Interactive Request Form. Authorized agents may also complete and submit the Interactive Request Form on behalf of a California Consumer.
We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 business days. We must provide the requested information or delete your personal information within 45 days of receipt of your request, but we can use up to an additional 45 days if we let you know that additional time is needed.
Before responding, we must verify that the person making the request is the person about whom we have collected their personal information. We may ask you to provide certain, limited personal information, such as your name and email address to verify and match your identity with our records and systems. If you have an account with us, we may ask that you verify your identity through our account authentication process. This is also to protect against fraud. We will not retain this personal information or use it for any other purpose. Also please be advised that we need to search our records and systems only for the preceding 12 months. There may be cases where we do not have any personal information about you or we are not able to verify your identity for matching purposes. Deleting your personal information may result in the closing of your account and inability to access the Services. However, you can always re-register at any time.
(Residents of Nevada and other states may also have similar rights to request information about or delete their personal information. To inquire about exercising these rights, please contact us at email@example.com.)
Accessing Your Information.
Email a Page
The Site offers you the ability to share certain pages of the Site to a friend or other third party via email, text message, and social media. If you choose to use the “Share” functionality, your name, email address and any message you are allowed to include will be visible to the recipient of the email. The “Share” functionality is for informational purposes only and may not be used for any unlawful purpose, including any harassment or threats. Information collected by CarNow through the “Share” functionality shall be used in accordance with this Policy.
Changes to this Policy
Any changes to this Policy will be posted on the Site in this location and this Policy will be identified as “Updated”. Your continued use of the Site after such notice constitutes acceptance of such changes. In the event of such changes, you can then choose to do nothing, modify the personally identifiable information in your account, change your email preferences or deactivate your account.
Your personally identifiable information is one of our most valuable assets. We take steps, such as encryption, to keep it physically secure in our data centers and it is accessible only to authorized personnel as needed to perform operations governed by this policy. In addition, when CarNow collects credit card information from you, CarNow uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption, the industry standard for protecting privacy in web transactions. Please keep in mind that despite these measures, CarNow cannot guarantee or warrant 100 percent security of its servers and databases. Moreover, CarNow cannot guarantee that personally identifiable information that you submit through the Site will not be intercepted or otherwise disclosed.
CarNow believes that it is especially important to protect children’s privacy online. CarNow does not knowingly collect or use any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 16 and CarNow does not knowingly provide any personally identifiable information, regardless of its source, to any third party for any purpose whatsoever from visitors younger than 16 years old. No information should be submitted to or posted at CarNow by visitors younger than 16 years old.
This Site contains links to other sites. While CarNow encourages our business partners to adopt privacy policies that build users’ trust and confidence in the internet, CarNow is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of websites linked to the Site or any third-party products or services offered through the Site.
Compliance with privacy laws and regulations
We are subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). You agree not to use our Website, products or services in a manner that would violate laws protecting an individual’s privacy rights, health or financial data, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 as amended (HIPAA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and its implementing regulations, the Privacy Rule and the Safeguards Rule.
Opting Out and Unsubscribing
Reviewing, Correcting and Removing Your Personal Information. If you provide us with your Personal Information, you have the following rights with respect to that information:
- To review the user information that you have supplied to us
- To request that we correct any errors, outdated information, or omissions in user information that you have supplied to us
- To request that your user information not be used to contact you
- To request that your user information be removed from any solicitation list that we use
- To request that your user information be deleted from our records
- To otherwise opt out of receiving solicitations
To exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending us postal mail to: 1100 Circle 75, Suite 800, Atlanta, GA 30339
We will promptly change, correct, or delete your information.
To Unsubscribe from Our Communications. You may unsubscribe from our marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails, revising your subscription settings online at or by sending us email us at email@example.com, or by sending us postal mail to: 1100 Circle 75, Suite 800, Atlanta, GA 30339.
How You Can Opt Out of Web Tracking. There are several ways to opt out of web tracking: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by sending us postal mail to: 1100 Circle 75, Suite 800, Atlanta, GA 30339.
Most browsers allow you to block third-party cookies or prevent cross-domain tracking. This will limit the cookies that can be set by third-party scripts. This will not completely eliminate tracking by some third-party services though as they may use first-party cookies.
Most browsers also allow you ask not to be tracked (it sends the “Do Not Track” request header). If you have enabled this feature, we will not track the pages you visit in a way that enables us to connect them to your personal information. Your page views may still be collected anonymously though. Many of the third-party services we use for collecting anonymous data also respect the Do Not Track setting.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
If you would like to obtain more information about the practices of some of these parties, or if you would like to make choices about their use of your information, please click here:
Some of the service providers we use that may collect personal information on our behalf are as follows:
More information and additional consumer choice options may be found here:
Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising
CarNow adheres to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. For more information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, CarNow, Inc. commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU or Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield Policy should first contact CarNow, Inc. at:
By Email: email@example.com
By Mail: ATTN: Chief Privacy Officer
1100 Circle 75 Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30339
By Phone: (877) 882-5353
If you have an unresolved privacy concern related to personal data processed or transferred by us pursuant to the Privacy Shield Principles that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact (free of charge) our U.S.-based independent recourse mechanism provider by clicking here. In addition, under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website, you may be entitled to invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
CarNow, Inc. has further committed to cooperate with the panel established by the EU data protection authorities (DPAs) with regard to unresolved Privacy Shield complaints concerning human resources data transferred from the EU in the context of the employment relationship.