California Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 17, 2024
For the purposes of this CA Notice, personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified, aggregated or anonymized information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or linked to a consumer.
- Information excluded from the CA Privacy Laws’ scope, such as:
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
- Information relating to our job applicants, employees, contractors and other Company personnel.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
The CCPA defines a “business purpose” as the use of personal information for the business’s operational purposes, or other notified purposes, provided the use of personal information is reasonably necessary and proportionate to achieve the operational purpose for which the personal information was collected or another operational purpose that is compatible with the context in which the personal information was collected.
Please note that because the categories of personal information collected and shared largely depends on how you interact with our Sites and Services, not all of the items listed in the tables below will be relevant to you.
Selling or Sharing for Targeted Advertising.
Rights and choices for California Residents.
As a California resident, you may have privacy rights in addition to those described in “Your choices”, and we list your rights below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases, we may decline your request as permitted by law:
- Right to Information. You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information during the past 12 months:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected.
- The categories of sources from which we collected personal information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting and/or selling personal information.
- The categories of third parties with which we share personal information.
- The categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose.
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Right to Access. You can request a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you during the past 12 months.
- Right to Correction. You can ask us to correct inaccurate personal information that we have collected about you.
- Right to Deletion. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we have collected from you.
- Right to Opt-out. Your options:
- Opt-out of certain processing of personal information for targeted advertising purposes.
- If you have enabled a legally recognized browser-based opt-out preference signal (such as Global Privacy Control) on your browser, we do not currently enable technology to recognize such preference.
- Opt-out of profiling/automated decision making. You can opt-out of automated processing or profiling performed on personal information to evaluate, analyze, or predict personal aspects related to a person’s economic situation, health, personal preferences, interests, reliability, behavior, location, or movements.
- Opt-out of other sales of personal data. You can opt-out of other sales of your personal information. We do not sell your personal information, buy you also have the right to tell us not to sell your personal information.
- Right to Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination as prohibited by the CA Privacy Laws. Unless permitted by the CA Privacy Laws, we will not deny you access to our products or services, charge, or suggest we charge you different prices or rates, or provide different levels of quality for goods and Services based on your exercise of these rights.
How to Exercise Your Privacy Rights
To exercise your rights to please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or at https://www.carnow.com/do-not-sell/. As mandated by CA Privacy Laws, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 10 days and will respond within 45 days of receipt of your request, but if we require more time (up to an additional 45 days) we will let you know. In some cases, you may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to exercise certain privacy rights on your behalf. We will require verification that you provided the authorized agent permission to make a request on your behalf. You must provide us with a copy of the signed permission you have given to the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verify your own identity directly with us. If you are an authorized agent submitting a request on behalf of an individual, you must attach a copy of: (a) A completed written notice indicating that you have authorization to act on the consumer’s behalf signed by you and the consumer; and (b) if you are a business, proof that you are registered with the appropriate Secretary of State to conduct business in California. If we do not receive both pieces of information, the request will be denied.
Exercising your right to opt-out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your Personal Information. Like many companies, we use services that help deliver targeted ads to you as described above. California Privacy Laws may classify our use of some of these services as “selling” or “sharing” your personal information with the advertising partners that provide the services. You can submit requests to opt-out of certain processing of personal information for targeted advertising purposes or other sales of Personal Information here: https://www.carnow.com/do-not-sell/or via email to email@example.com.
Verification of identity; authorized agents. We will need to verify your identity in order to process your information/know, access, correction, or deletion requests and reserve the right to confirm your residency. To verify your identity, we may require government identification, a declaration under penalty of perjury, or other information, where permitted by law.
Your authorized agent may make a request on your behalf upon our verification of the agent’s identity and our receipt of a copy of a valid power of attorney given to your authorized agent pursuant to California Probate Code Sections 4000-4465. If you have not provided your agent with such a power of attorney, you must provide your agent with written and signed permission to exercise your CA Privacy Laws rights on your behalf, provide the information we request to verify your identity, and provide us with confirmation that you have given the authorized agent permission to submit the request.